Research Option offers students the opportunity for a substantial, in-depth
research experience. It offers students a taste
for what long-term research can be like and provides
extensive experience not found within a typical
course setting. One-on-one student and faculty
mentoring is also a highlight of the experience.
Students are strongly encouraged at the end of
their experience to work with their faculty mentor
to develop a journal publication or conference
presentation on the research in addition to the
The exact requirements for research option vary by academic unit, however, students typically:
- Complete at least 9 credit hours of undergraduate research.
- Courses should span at least two, preferably three terms
- Research may be for either pay or credit
- At least 6 of the 9 required hours should be on the same topic
- Complete a research proposal outlining their research topic and project for the thesis (for additional information on the contents of this proposal, click
- Take the thesis writing courses, LCC 4701 and LCC 4702. For more information on registering for these courses, click here.
- Write an undergraduate thesis/report of research on their findings and complete the Certificate of Research Option Approval form.
The research proposal and at least 6 hours of research are required for admission to the LCC 4701 and LCC 4702 undergraduate thesis courses. Completion of Research Option is noted on the student's transcript.
For more information click